CUPE Alberta Scholarships
Rick Malcolm Education Scholarship
Every year, CUPE Alberta awards a scholarship to a CUPE member of an affiliated Alberta local, in good standing with CUPE Alberta Division, or an immediate family member who is pursuing post-secondary studies. Immediate family will be limited to spouses and children.
Applying for a scholarship in a few simple steps:
- The name of the eligible member, or immediate family member, must be submitted through the local union. A letter of endorsement from the local must accompany the application. Any individual who has previously received this scholarship from CUPE Alberta is not eligible.
Applications, including letters of endorsement, must be submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer of the Division by September 1st of each year. Scholarship will be awarded by December 31st of each year.
CUPE Alberta Scholarships
#7 Gareth Place
St. Albert, AB T8N 2K5
- All applicants must submit an essay of no more than 1,000 words on one of the following topics:
- Why unions?
- What Union membership means to me
- The importance of youth involvement in today’s unions
- CUPE’s contribution to Alberta
- Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of registration from an accredited post-secondary institution. The amount of any financial assistance for the recipient shall be decided by the Executive Committee and all decisions will be final.
CUPE Alberta assumes no responsibility for any applications or supporting documentation lost, misdirected or otherwise not received by the deadline. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to ensure that the application is made correctly, legibly and in a timely manner. The name of the successful applicant and their essay will be published in official publications and/or on CUPE Alberta’s website and a photo of the winner may be obtained by the CUPE Alberta for this purpose.
Pat Lenihan Bursary
- One scholarship not exceeding $1000.00, maintained from the General Revenue account of the Division, may be awarded each calendar year for assistance to a CUPE member of an affiliated Alberta local in good standing with CUPE Alberta Division to attend Labour College.
- Applications shall be submitted to the Treasurer of the Division prior to the Labour College Program.
- A letter of endorsement from their local must accompany the application.
- Any individual who has previously received this bursary from CUPE Alberta is exempt.
- The amount of any financial assistance for recipient shall be decided by the Executive Committee and all decisions will be final.
CUPE 1445 Scholarships
CUPE Endowment Scholarship Award # 0065 Value: $300 Donor: CUPE 1445
Eligibility: Awarded to a student continuing in the second year of full-time studies at Red Deer College who is a present or past Red Deer College CUPE member or immediate family member (First preference given to a member who has at least two consecutive years of service with CUPE Local 1445). Second preference is a student continuing full time studies at Red Deer College in a collaborative degree.
Criteria: Academic performance, financial need, and community involvement. If no recipient is chosen with first preference or second preference, then student continuing studies at any post-secondary institution may be eligible.
Submit: Continuing Student Award Application by May 31.
CUPE/Florence Stephan performing arts scholarship Award # 0066 Value: $200 (approximate) Donor: CUPE Local 1445
Eligibility: Having completed the first year at Red Deer College in a Performing Arts Program and continuing in full time studies in the second year at Red Deer College.
Criteria: Involvement in performance and contribution to the college and community.
The Scholarship will rotate between programs. For two years, it will be given to a Theatre Program – Technical, Performance, Costume Cutting or Motion Picture Arts Applied Degree. For one year it will be given to the Music Diploma Program.
Nominated by the Performing Arts Chairperson in consultation with the faculty.
Educational Scholarships available to CUPE Local 30 members
Scholarships for CUPE Local 30 members’ children exist through the Edmonton Civic Employees Charitable Assistance Fund.
Visit www.ececaf.ca and select Member Services for scholarship guidelines and application forms. (The website also provides information on other Member Services available to CUPE Local 30 members and promotes where members’ charitable donations are impacting Edmonton and area communities.)