Through the education of our members, CUPE builds better collective agreements and strengthens our ability to defend workers’ rights and protect the services we provide.
Check the CUPE Education calendar here.
There are over 40 different workshops CUPE can provide to your local. Click here for a list and description of what’s available.
For more information on Union Education through CUPE – contact our CUPE Education Representative, Audrey Barr at (780) 484-7644.
Frequently asked Questions about CUPE Education.
1. What kind of education does CUPE offer?
CUPE offers many opportunities for union education.
2. How are these workshops offered?
Workshops are offered in a variety of ways. For example, the Alberta Division sponsors an annual weeklong school in May of each year. Other times, CUPE District Councils sponsor weekend schools. Union education is also offered at the Alberta Division Annual Convention in March.
3. Can CUPE Locals sponsor workshops?
Yes. Many Locals sponsor workshops either just for their Local or for all Locals in their areas. If your Local is interested in sponsoring a workshop, information is available from their CUPE Alberta Representative or Education Representative.
Sometimes Locals jointly sponsor workshops with their employer.
4. Are there any prerequisites to taking a course?
Yes, there are prerequisites for the Steward Learning series and for the Health and Safety series. Most times when the pamphlet is posted, all prerequisites will be identified.
5. What if our members don’t have time to spend a whole weekend at a CUPE workshop?
Although most of our workshops are run Friday nights and Saturdays, workshops can be organized and scheduled for the needs of the Local.
6. How do members find out about workshops that are offered in our area?
Brochures advertising upcoming workshops are sent out to all locals, so members should:
- Attend monthly membership meetings
- Check your union bulletin board
- Ask your CUPE Alberta Representative
- Ask your Education Representative
- Check the CUPE Education calendar here.
- Check articles in newsletters
- Read letters or leaflets from Local Union President or Education CommitteeSeeking Applications for CUPE ombudspersons